Skip to menu Skip to content
Click here or press the Escape key to leave this site now
Call the RCS helpline on 08088 01 03 02

Criminal injuries compensation

You may be able to claim compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. This is a financial award to compensate for the pain and suffering caused by violent crime such as rape and sexual assault. The injury can be mental and/or physical. It does not make any difference if the person who attacked you was a stranger or someone you knew.

To claim, you must report the assault to the police and co-operate fully with them. Your attacker does not need to be caught or prosecuted for you to claim.

You must apply as soon as possible, within two years of the assault (except in certain circumstances).

You can get more information about the scheme and how to apply from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority and its customer service free helpline on 0300 003 3601. Orkney Rape & Sexual Assault Service can also help you with your claim.