Skip to menu Skip to content
Click here or press the Escape key to leave this site now
Call the RCS helpline on 08088 01 03 02

Reporting a recent rape or sexual assault to the police

It is up to you whether or not you report what has happened to the police. You can speak to a police officer first before deciding. But if you want to do this, remember not to give your name or any personal information until you decide whether you want to report.

If you report, you can ask to speak to a female or male officer. They will take a brief statement and notify CID. A detective sergeant will take charge of the investigation. A police officer who is specially trained to deal with sexual assault cases will interview you.

You will be allocated a sexual offences liaison officer (SOLO) who will support you through the investigation. They will take a detailed statement which will be passed on to CID, and CID will interview the accused. They may also arrange for a forensic examination in a specialist unit. This will be carried out by a specialist doctor. You can ask to see a female or male doctor.

You can find out more about how the police will support you in this video.

You may find it useful to talk to Orkney Rape & Sexual Assault Service about your options and the pros and cons of reporting.